Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Orange Lemon Almond Buttermilk Pound Cake

This recipe is born after I tweaked the ever famous Tish Boyle Plainly Perfect Pound Cake. The cake is seriously moist and unmistakably lemony/orange-y, to say the least. if you enjoy pound cake as much as I do, you have got to try this recipe. :)


Orange Lemon Almond Buttermilk Pound Cake 
(Adapted from Shirley@Køkken)

Ingredients:
  • 200g/2 cups plain flour
  • 50g of almond meal (I added. I grounded almond nibs in food processor).
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 227g/2 sticks unsalted butter (softened) *I used salted butter 
  • 1/4 tsp salt   *I omitted this
  • 250g/ 1 1/4 cups caster sugar (I reduced this to 200g). *I follow Shirley. If you are into sweet, then stick to the recipe :)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 tsp grated orange zest
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 80ml heavy cream *I replace this with "homemade buttermilk" - I added 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice to 80ml of low fat milk (that's what I had) and left it for 15 minutes
  • 1 tablespoon 'Sunquick' brand orange fruit drink base *I added
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice. *I added
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 170C.
  2. Sift flour and almond meal with baking powder and salt (if used) and set aside.
  3. Cream butter in a mixer at medium high speed until creamy (about 2 mins). Add sugar gradually and continue beating for 4 mins until light and fluffy.
  4. Reduce the mixing speed of the mixer to low and add eggs one at a time mixing until well mixed.
  5. Add the citrus zest, vanilla extract and Sunquick fruit drink base.
  6. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating it with cream/ or buttermilk  and also freshly squeezed orange juice (added in 2 additions). 
  7. Pour into 2 lined 3″x 7″ pound cake mold and bake for 60-70 mins or until the cake turns brown and a testing skewer comes out clean. (Trish Boyle had baked this at 162C but I had to use a slightly higher oven temperature to ensure that the cake is cooked through without dense uncooked spots) *I used a 9-inch IKEA's silicone pan and baked for exactly 60 mins at 160C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...